Monday, September 26, 2011

Happy

"Happy girls are always the prettiest girls." -Audrey Hepburn

I've been thinking about this quote a lot today. I realize that being happy is a choice. It does not have to be based on circumstances or events. It has nothing to do with how much money you make or the kind of clothes you wear. Sometimes we have to choose to be happy in spite of those things.

I think about the times in my life when I'm most happy. My mission is definitely at the top of that list. These past few months there have had their ups and downs but the times I have been happiest are the times when I felt like my life was in harmony with  my faith. Ghandi said: "Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony." That is so true. When I am truly happy, my life feels balanced and...harmonized? And it has nothing to do with the way I look. In fact, when I'm preoccupied with things like my weight, I become pretty UNhappy. Go figure.

I also think about the people who I think are most beautiful. They are not beautiful because of the way they look. They are beautiful because they choose to be happy. The don't wait for tomorrow when that pimple clears up. They are happy now. They don't wait 6 months when they get to their goal weight. They are happy now. They don't wait 5 years when their career takes off. They are happy...now! The moral of the story? I'm choosing to be happy (you guessed it) now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get that skirt that I've been saving for 10 pounds from now.

No comments: