Monday, June 27, 2011

Do You Sit in the Sun and FRY???!!!

In case you haven't noticed....it's HOT HOT HOT in Mesa right now. And it's only going to get hotter. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but it's true. Anyway, I've had my fair share of scorchers and wanted to share some of my summer survival tricks.

For survival under the sun, everybody needs a good SUNBLOCK!!!!! It's my best friend. Seriously. When you're out in the sun as much as I am, you need a good sunblock. And I'm not talking SPF 30. Experts say to use SPF 45 or HIGHER. If you want to get a nice tan, don't worry. Even the strongest sunblock can't block all of those nasty UV rays. My absolute favorite is No-Ad SPF 60. It's seriously the BEST. You can get it at Walmart and Walmart online.
Most regular sunblocks are pretty greasy and loaded with oils which means that I don't want them anywhere NEAR my face! I finally found a great face sunblock that doesn't sting or ruin my complexion: Coppertone Faces for Sensitive Skin SPF 50 (seriously, 50). I just started using it this summer and it's the best I've ever used.

Another summer must-have is a great hat. Not only will you once again be protecting and beautifying your sensitive complexion, but your hair will thank you later. I love hats with a wide brim because you can get all-around sun protection. Because let's face it: how many times do you remember to put sunblock on those ears?
Sorry, I couldn't resist...I love FRIENDS!!!
Speaking of hair...remember to rinse out that nasty chlorine after a dip. Nothing says "wash me" like  neon-chlorine-green locks. A leave-in conditioner is also essential. Pretty much anything will do. I use Ojon Revitalizing Mist Leave In Conditioner. It's a little pricey so I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I use it about 3 times a week and my hair is so grateful!!
Another hair-saving tip: your hair is super weak when it's wet so it's never a good idea to put it up right after a dip. I've learned this the hard way. As much as I hate to, I let my hair air dry and put it up later.

To quench thirsty skin a good lotion is an absolute must-have. I love Bath and Body Works as much as the next girl, but I can only use it for so long before my eczema attacks with a vengeance. My dermatologist recommended Cetaphil Skin Restoring moisturizer. You can get it at Walgreens. Again, it's kind of pricey, but it's SO worth it not to be itchy! After-sun lotions are also great. I haven't used any one in particular and you can pretty much find them anywhere they sell cosmetics (I hear Target's brand is great). And don't forget a good moisturizing body wash to get that chlorine and sunblock off! I love Dove. It has a light scent and it's not packed with alcohol so my sensitive skin is soft and supple.

And don't forget the lips!!! I like to protect my pucker with Burt's Bees Sun Protecting Lip Balm (seriously, it's SOOOOO much better than their old Lifeguard's Choice stuff...and it doesn't turn my lips white.). I also got it at Walgreens. It smells fruity and fresh and keeps my lips oh-so-soft!!


Wishing everyone a safe and happy summer!!! What are your summer must-haves? I'd love to hear more!!

No comments: