Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Are you Hearing me? I ate Pickled Herring Here

Dear Family,

Well this past weekend was Midsommar (midsummer) here in Sweden. Midsommar is huge and second only to Christmas. Since proselyting and teaching is pretty much impossible, we got to spend 2 days celebrating. On Friday we went to this huge celebration in Utby (about an hour away from town). It was so coold! They raised the midsommarstång (aka maypole) and we sang and danced around it for a while. After that we went over to our ward mission leader's house and spent the whole day with them. We ate Swedish food. I ate pickled Herring! nuf said. We played cards and then went down the street to his daughter's house where the kids had organized games for us and then we had a barbeque. It was super fun and felt like being at grandma's house with all the cousins. Which is pretty much what it was anyway. On Saturday we got to go out to the Bakers' (family in our ward) Summer Cottage. It was so beautiful! Just green and the weather was cool and sunny. We ate more food and played more games and Bro. Baker played his accordion for us. He's amazing. I may be a little inspired to pick up the accordion...just kidding. This past week was pretty great. We got to teach Namiko again and it was wonderful. She accepts everything so well and is super smart. We also set up a baptismal date for Tommy. He's getting baptized on Saturday! It was amazing because everything worked out prefectly. His mom and her special friend are going to be able to come to his confirmation and the special friend said that he would like to be there for the rest of our teaches with Tommy this week. It's perfect! I wish I had more to tell you all, but huge Swedish holidays make for a very short week...I love you all and hope things are going well! Keep praying and reading the Book of Mormon! It makes such a difference. Love you!

Love,
Syster Coleman
Dear Mamma,

Thank you for the lovely picture. I was going to send you some pictures from this weekend, but I forgot my cord for my(your) camera. Next week though. And I have tons of pictures to send home so you can get a feel for what it looks like here. Anyway, HOLY COW I CAN'T BELIEVE CRAIG REYNOLDS IS HOME!!!!! Also, I can't believe that Ciara left already and that she met Sister Anstensen. We had lunch with her the day before she left. What a small world. but it's bound to happen sooner or later. They send tons of Swedes to the Great Britain area. We have like 6 over there right now. The others are in Finland. And you didn't tell me that Sarah was John's swim teacher! I had no idea that she had planned on going back to Carson again. It's funny how we say that we're done lifeguarding and we always lie. I think I'm gonna start doing it again when I get home. But that's a long way off and coming out of how much I miss swimming. We went to the seashore again today and saw yet another gorgeous castle. I wanted to get in the water so bad! I put my hand in the water and it was cool and wonderful. Then I saw a big jellyfish and didn't want to get in so much anymore. Is there a gospel principle somewher in there? Like that mormonad with the cockroach in the ice cream sundae? Anyway, dad didn't tell me about any miracles...what happened? How was his fathers Day? I felt bad that I didn't send anything exciting, but there are no fathers day cards over here. I hope you're feeling better from your fall. And I've been thinking about the temple a lot lately and wishing that I could go. Especially with you. I always think of you when I'm in the temple. Anyhoo this week we get to get ready for Tommy's baptism on Saturday! He's so sweet and totally prepared. We didn't get to teach him yesterady, but we were walking somewhere and saw him and his mom in their car and he leans out the window with this adorable smile and waves and yells, "Hej systrar!!!" That means hi sisters. It was cute and just a tender mercy. I love tender mercies. I love Sweden. It's just this wonderful treasure up here and no one really knows about it! I miss you and love you!

Love,
Elisabeth

No comments: