Saturday, February 2, 2013

Audition Extravaganza Rounds 1 & 2

I was originally going to post these separately but life got in the way this week...yeah. I need another nap. Because so many people have said "Let me know how it goes!" and to save my thumbs from injury by sending out that many text messages, I thought I'd blog my auditioning adventures.

Last weekend I made the trek out to Chicago to audition at Northwestern University. I took a red eye flight on Friday morning (I do NOT recommend this...blech!) and sat next to the most wonderful woman. She asked me how I was getting to the university and I told her I had no idea. Turns out she was renting a car and driving to Evanston to see her family and she offered me a ride. We chatted like old friends and by the end of the flight we were BFF. Her rental car fell through so we shared a cab driven by an Albanian immigrant...in a snowstorm...I was afraid for my life...

Anyway, a picture's worth a thousand words so instead of telling you how pretty the campus is...


I know, right?! I can totally see myself here. I loved the town too. It's about a half hour outside of Chicago (unless your Albanian cab driver decides to "avoid traffic" and take all backroads...). Evanston is your typical university town. So cute! It was an adventure. I stayed in a little hotel about a 10 minute walk from the school of music. And when I say it was a 10 minute walk, it was literally a walk up the street and I was at the school of music. Good choice, right? It was SUPER cold (coming from the girl who survived the winter from you-know-where in Sweden...) so I hung out in my hotel room A LOT. I was warming up in my room the morning of my audition (and when I say morning I mean 11:00) thinking that it was the middle of the day so I wouldn't be bothering anyone. I'm justified in thinking that, right? Because at like 11:45 I got a knock on the door and it was the hotel manager telling me that she had gotten some complaints about noise...seriously?! Because it's the middle of the day and I assumed normal people would be out and about...did I disturb naptime or something? Oh well. I guess you're not a singer until someone complains about you at a hotel...

Anyway, the audition went well. I was able to meet with a few of the professors the day before, which I totally recommend. It was awesome to see some familiar faces in that audition room. I feel pretty good about my performance and was actually kind of bummed when it was all over. You know that feeling you get when your birthday is over? That's a little how I felt.

Oh my gosh and coming home...I had no idea how to get to the airport from Evanston using public transportation and I had to check out of my hotel at noon (seriously, my flight didn't leave until 9:45) so I wandered around Evanston with my little suitcase for a while. Found a library and played with my computer a little. Anyway, I talked to the clerk at the hotel and was able to get a ride to the airport. I asked if they had like a shuttle and she was like, "Sure, when do you want to leave?" So I set up the "shuttle" and come 6:00 I found out that the "shuttle" was actually two African American guys and  Lincoln Towncar. I didn't know if I should've been scared. I guess the hotel uses them pretty frequently so I probably didn't need to worry so much. I couldn't understand a word either one of them said...it was a dialect I've never even heard before. I may need to look into that if I end up at Northwestern...

Speaking of familiar faces, today I auditioned for ASU's grad program. I have to admit there is a huge part of me that wants to stay at ASU just because it's territory I already know. I don't do well with change and it was so comfortable...must resist the urge to avoid change...I felt really good about things today, except for the part where I spit and had it dribbling down my chin for the rest of my song...รง'est la vie...oh and the part where I choked on my own spit. But whatever. I sang well and gave a good representation of myself which is what these auditions are really about. Stay tuned for more adventures! I've got three more and I'm so excited! Next week is UCLA!

No comments: