Monday, July 5, 2010

Catching up on some mail

Dear family,

Yes, that's right. It's hot!!!! We've had a wonderful week, starting with our sisters' training on Monday and Tuesday. We got into Stockholm on Monday at about 4:30 and went for a little walk. Let me just tell you how jealous I am of Stockholm...they've had super hot weather for like 3 weeks now! There were headlines on the newspapers that said, "HOW LONG WILL THE SUPER HEAT LAST?" Seriously?! And we've still been wearing sweaters and stuff down here. The other sisters were like, "Oh it's been sooooo hot! Are you just dying down south?" NO BECAUSE IT'S BEEN COLD AND RAINY!!! Anyway, so it was nice in Stockholm. We went to the mission home and got introduced to a new short term sister who will be serving in Göteborg (oh my beloved Göteborg!) for a month. We'd all been asked to bring clothes for a clothes swap and we did that right after we got there. We'd brought a big bag that Sister Williams had left. The Örebro sisters brought a huge bag of stuff that...I'd left. (That's funny because Sister Sumner picked a bunch of them and I didn't know so I went downstairs yesterday and she was wearing one of my old sweaters and I was like, woah. It was weird.) then we had dinner and got to know each other better. Poor President Anderson. Him and Sister Anderson...and 15 sister missionaries. It was like mini girls' camp. Anyway, Tuesday was awesome. We woke up and studied then President gave us a great message. The theme of the conference was "A Season of Light" and President talked for a little while about how we are the light to lead people to Christ. It reminded me of a line from my patriarchal blessing. Kind of cool. After his message, Sister Anderson led a discussion where we just asked questions and answered them for each other. It was really good to get other sisters' instights. After that we ate lunch and then we went to the outreach center in Stockholm and the APs gave us a message about how we can improve our contacting. We've been applying what they told us and it's changed the way we do missionary work! After they gave us their message, we went out and contacted in town. Kind of a funny story. I went out with Sister Maxwell and Elder Edmunds (who I'll be coming home with) to contact. We weren't really having much success, but we finally got a lady to stop and at least talk to us. So We're standing talking to her and I look around and SISTER MAXWELL IS GONE! I panicked for a little bit and then realized that another group of missionaries had walked by so she'd gone off with them. But it was kind of awkward just me and Elder Edmunds talking to this lady about how marriage can last forever...yeah. Anyway, after contacting we went to the temple!! We walked in and saw my new friend, Sister Rose (who sent you the email). Then I turned around and one of the members from Göteborg was there. Do you remember Tommy? Well he's really good friends with this woman's boys. They'd all come to the temple for Göteborg's temple week and I got to see Tommy! He's doing really well. The Anderssons are taking good care of him! Anyway, the temple was great. I felt really sad when I realized that it would be my last time at the Stockholm Temple. Seriously, I cried forever. I just sat in the celestial room trying to memorize it. But I couldn't stay there forever. We went back outside and took pictures and then went back to the mission home where there were warm muffins and milk waiting, compliments of Syster Stenborg (our short term sister). Wednesday morning we took a loooooong train home. It was about 5 hours and the first 2½ were great. We sat in the set of 4 seats, facing each other so we each had like a whole row to ourselves so we got to sleep for a while. Well the lasat 2½ hours we had this couple sitting next to us (the guy next to me and the girl next to Sister Sumner) and they were really in love. REALLY in love. And they were not afraid to lean across and show it. It was super uncomfortable. After we got home we taught Wangbo. We talked about fasting and we all fasted together yesterday for him to receive a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Tried to call him today to find out how he feels afterward but I couldn't understand a word he said. We're teaching him tomorrow though. Thursday we had district meeting and then taught Emil. It's going nowhere with him so we've decided to stop teaching him. Problem is, we're down to 2 (including him) investigators...Friday we got a text from our super positive new investigator, Xiang, saying that she didn't feel comfortable with our religion and didn't want to meet us anymore. We couldn't figure out what happened because she was super positive. But she had been taking Bible (and I use the term loosely because the JWs don't call it the Bible...it's the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures) classes from the Jehovah's Witnesses and we figure they got to her and told her some lies and it scared her. But were really sad...gutted to use Jake's term. We did have a fantastic activity at the institute on Friday night. We called it International Holiday Night. It didn't really go according to my vision...but it was still a success. We had tons of investigators (mostly Chinese) show up and a few YSAs. Saturday was nice. It's actually gotten pretty hot this past week and we went out finding on Saturday and it was...warm to say the least. I have the farmer tan to prove it. Yesterday was good. We fasted with Wangbo and I think he liked it. We had a really good testimony meeting. It was probably my last Fast Sunday in this ward. I have no idea what'll happen next transfer, but I'm pretty sure I'll move. I can't believe how fast this time is going. I can't believe Jake's getting home so soon! We both only have one zone conference left. That's crazy. Kind of makes me sick to think about actually. I feel the same way he does though. As the time gets shorter, I feel more motivated to work harder. We've had a really awesome week this past week. We both feel super motivated after this sisters' conference. Oh! Also this past week I finished the Book of Mormon in Swedish! That's one of my major goals for my mission and I accomplished it! yay! I finished something! Now I just gotta figure out what to do next. I kind of want to do another serious study kind of thing, but I don't know how. Anyway I think that's all my news and random thoughts for the week. I hope you all have a great day of for 4th of July. We didn't really get to do anything for it. Love you all!

Love,
Syster Coleman

June 28 Letter
Dear Family,

Well, I'm emailing a little earlier to day because at about 12:30 we're off to Stockholm for a SISTERS' TRAINING!!!! All of the sisters are going to the mission home today and we'll have like a little conference. We're even going to the TEMPLE tomorrow! We'll be back here on Wednesday afternoon. We're SO EXCITED!!!! We were supposed to have a Sisters' Conference last September when I was in Göteborg, but it got cancelled and we were sooooooo sad. I almost cried when they told us about this one.
Anyway, it's been a pretty good week. A little slower than last week, but it was Midsommar so...yeah. Tuesday we taught Emil again. He's a nice guy, but he's gonna be a tough one to convert....We also taught Wangbo and that was a little frustrating. We would ask him if he'd read in the Book of Mormon and ask God if it was true and he would smile and say, "No!" We'd be like why not? And he would be like, "I don't need to." So we asked if he'd already asked God if it was true and he said no. So we told him how important it was to ask God if it's true and explained why and then we asked again..."No!" WHY NOT???!!!! "I think I can discern if it's true by reading it." So we told him that the only way to know if it's true is to ask God. We finally hepled him understand, I think...but man that language barrier is KILLING us!!! I really should've learned Chinese. After we taught him we went over to Mpoki's to say goodbye. She left for Tanzania on Wednesday and we're so sad she's gone!
Wednesday we did a service project at the Jewish cemetery in Malmö. We pulled weeds for like 2 hours. I'm surprised it only took 2 hours because it was pretty overgorwn when we got there. But it looked really nice when we were done. Wednesday evening, we got a NEW INVESTIGATOR! Her name is Xiang and she's GOLDEN!!!! She's from China and she's super positive. Only problem is she's been taking classes with the Jehovah's Witnesses...they always get there first! But she's very open and sincere. And we just LOVE her!!!!
Thursday we had district meeting in Helsingborg. It was good. Then we came back and taught Wangbo (a little frustrating again) and tried to get a baptismal date....he said no. We talked for a long time. But he's not getting baptized any time soon.
Friday was MIDSOMMARAFTON!!! It was my last one and it went by SO FAST!!! We invited Wangbo to come celebrate with us. So the Rades took us all out to the Wiklöfs' (ward mission leader's family) and we had lunch there and then went to their town celebration. It was a blast. After that we went to Malmö because they were having a ward party. We felt kind of awkward there because we didn't know anyone. But everyone was really nice to Wangbo. After we partied a little there, we came back to Lund with the elders and played games at the institute until it was time to go home. Pretty fun day, but like I said it went by way too fast.
Saturday was actually Midsommar day but we got to work. The elders came to Lund and we had lunch with them and then went tracting together. Kind of useless because everyone was out...somewhere. They weren't in town because this place was like a ghost town. Seriously, no one answered their doors. Sister Sumner said she felt like she was in the Twilight Zone. Anyway, our friend Szilvia took pity on us and let us come eat with her on Saturday night. We had so much fun with her. After that we came home and did some cleaning before our trip so we wouldn't have to do it on Sunday...
Yesterday was good. Wangbo came to church again. He really likes coming to church and he really likes meeting with us. We just can't figure out what he needs. Stupid language barrier. After church we ate dinner at the McKnights'. He used to be the ward mission leader and they're just fantastic. they had another couple over and it was super fun. Also we had a really great spiritual though with them. Sister Sumner prepared it and she did good. Then we came home and got ready for our trip.
I can't believe all of the white-trashness that happened at home. I'm sad I missed it! Thanks for the pictures though. I really felt like I was there! BTW, I can't believe you guys are counting down. You're trunkier than I am! But speaking of counting down...on Tuesday I had a hundred days left. Actually it kind of scares me...it's going by too fast. So I'm going to stop talking about it so I don't start to hyperventilate again. It sounds like you are all having a really great summer. Mom, thanks for the pictures of scout day camp. Those were SO CUTE!!!! John, did you have a good time? I miss you! You're smokin'! Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about your finger! Hope it doesn't put a damper on your social life. But knowing you it won't. I hope you all have a great week. I miss you and love you all!

Love,
Sister Coleman

P.S. Sister Sumner's spiritual thought came from Alma 37:38-46. Some of my FAVORITE verses in the Book of Mormon!
P.P.S. Sister Sumner ate the pickled herring. She didn't really like it...
P.P.P.S. I'll send pictures next week...I forgot my cord today.
P.P.P.P.S. Any progress on that Ensign?
P.P.P.P.P.S. step one: toast the pop tart. go ahead toast it. hey are you still reading this?

No comments: